While this foundation is located in the United States, specifically in Beverly, Massachusetts this scholarship will take in places abroad. Most significantly Kenya tends to be the main focus of the research trips that students embark upon. However, other places such as Tanzania can end up taking a partially detour where students can exapnd their horizonal view with different locations.
This foundation is called The School for Field Studies and readily focuses on sole studies that revolve around humanitarian work, culture study, anthropology, and more. Here are a few more field studies available for this foundation network:
- Climate Change
- Biodiversity Conservation
- The Land Use Change project
- Community Resource Management
- Tourisim Impactism
- Environmental Policy
- Fisheries Management
- Environmental Justice and Ethics
- Pollution and Waste Management
- Natural Resource and Water Management
- Sustainable Livelihoods
There are other available field studies that could fall under a different program associated with this foundation. If a student is unsure of where their current study falls under they can contact the phone number listed in the contact section to inquire more.
This scholarship was created based on Heather Jo Leibowitz studies a research conducted in Kenya. This research phenonmean was conducted in the Spring time during the early 2000’s and had left a lasting mark and presence on the program. The foundation was curated by friends and family of Heather, so the next student who shows encouraged enthusaiasm in the next Tanzania program.
- The student applying can be either male or female.
- When applying the student must show interest in the geographic environment or cutural environment of Tanzania.
- The student must be cleared for a student visa and a research permit to study out on the field in Tanzania.
- The duration of this project can last a semester till a full academic year. This depends on the propsal of the project that a student presents.
- Students must present a time frame for their research (does not have to be exact but it is mentioned that it is appreciated that a time frame may be given)
- The student must become or fullfill the role within the foundations many courses that are available.
- The students can be from any country when applying.
- The student will need to register with this foundation to be eligible for this scholarship opportunity.
The School of Field Study is committed to finding a way to allow 90% of their student population to succeed, by helping with the costs that may come up. Nearly all colleges or institutional needs are met by the financial aid for SFS programs. Which allows the program to work with al univeristies to ensure the student has there necessities covered when going abroad.
How to Apply
First, every student who wishes to apply must register with the foundation. This way the student will be on the right path towards being able to apply and successfully submit an application for this specific scholarship.
Then applicants must submit their SFS finicial aid application. This way each student who submits this application is immediately entered into 13 different scholarships.
Reward – Extra Benefits
These are the benefical scholarships and loans a student is immeidately enrolled into once they submit the application.
- Pell Grant Match Award: SFS matches Federal Pell Grant funding to students who use their Pell Grant to pay the cost of an SFS semester program.
- Trailblazer Grant: Available for students attending certain countries which are listed on the website.
- Diversity Scholarship
- Heritage Scholarship: Available for students with a cultural and/or ancestral connection to the country in which they plan to study abroad with this acquired program scholarship.
- Stephen F. Lee Memorial Scholarship: Only available for students seeking a Marine degree.
- Heather Jo Leibowitz Memorial Scholarship
- McKee Scholarship: Available for financially struggling individuals.
- Tozer Scholarship: Available for financially struggling individuals.
- Fountain Scholarship: Available for financially struggling individuals.
- Roy A. Hunt Foundation Scholarship: Available for financially struggling individuals.
- Travel Grants: There are a limited number of travel grants available throughout the program. They equally cover either all airfare, car travel, or any travel by land, sea, or air.
- Zero-Interest Loans: For Summer Programs Only.
- Low-Interest Loans: For Summer Programs Only.
Studens will have to apply to other programs if they one they want is not already within this list. This can be done by going to the wesbite, locating the exact student program and either downloading the PDF application form or filling it out via online.
The foundation does allow students to fill out online scholarship applications and they do allow application forms to be sent in via mail.
This is the address for this specific scholarship:
The School for Field Studies
100 Cummings Center, Suite 534-G,
Beverly MA 01915
Typically the deadline would be before the summer seasons hits the specific country of a students choosing. This means that a student would need to research for instance Tanzania’s summer time and prepare to submit and signup for the program before that summer season had officially began. Tanzania’s summer typically lasts from Novermber into March. So this means the next deadline event would be July 2022.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
The full open submission window time frame will reopen between the end of March 2022 and will continue until July 2022. This application period will be effective for students who want to study abroad in 2023, not in 2022. This is because Tanzania has their summer season from November to March, making 2022 esstenially the past summer season as of right now.
This is a annual scholarship that takes up roughly 1 semester each year. For this memorial scholarship only one recipent will be chosen per year. However, since the foundation has mulitple scholarship readily available, students that do not succesffully become the recipent of Heather’s scholarship may apply yo the others that are presented on the website. The website can be accessed through the link provided on this page.
If a student has further questions that have not been answered, they may contact the phone number that is listed in the contact section. However, we insist on cliclking through to the website to check out further information that is avaliable.