Deakin is offering prospective international students from South Asia with exceptional academic achievements the opportunity to receive a discount on their tuition fees. Deakin University is a public university in Victoria, Australia. Founded in 1974, the university was named after Alfred Deakin, the second Prime Minister of Australia. Its main campuses are in Melbourne’s Burwood suburb, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, and Warrnambool, as well as the online Cloud Campus.
Deakin’s research activities are growing. 100% of Deakin research was rated at or above world standard in the 2018 Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) ratings.
Deakin University consistently ranks highly in undergraduate student satisfaction; in the 2019 Student Experience Survey, Deakin had the fourth highest student satisfaction rating nationally, the highest student satisfaction rating out of all Australian public universities, and the highest student satisfaction rating out of all Victorian universities.
Deakin University is in the top 1% of universities for international students to apply to each year. Deakin is a global leader ranked in the top 1% in a number of study areas, including accounting and finance, architecture, business and management studies, education, communication and media studies, nursing, medicine, and law.
The university has six research institutes:
- Alfred Deakin Institute for Citizenship and Globalisation
- Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute
- Institute for Frontier Materials
- Institute for Health Transformation
- Institute for Intelligent Systems Research and Innovation
- Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition
There are also 13 strategic research centers:
- Deakin Motion Lab – Centre for Creative Arts Research
- Centre for Innovation in Mental and Physical Health and Clinical Treatment
- Centre for Integrative Ecology
- Centre for Sport Research
- Centre for Chemistry and Biotechnology
- Centre for Cyber Security Research
- Centre for Quality and Patient Safety Research
- Centre for Regional and Rural Futures
- Centre for Pattern Recognition and Data Analytics
- Centre for Social and Early Emotional Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre for Molecular and Medical Research
- Research for Educational Impact
- All applicants should already be prospective international students for the coursework degree available at Deakin International University.
- The applicants who do apply should be from these countries: India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Maldives, Mauritius, or Bhutan residing in Australia and/or recruited by an authorized Deakin onshore agent.
- All applicants will need to meet the highest requirement grade for English. Also, all academic requirements will need to be met as well. This will go towards all applicant’s entry courses.
- If a student has recently accepted another award or scholarship from Deakin Univerisity, then they cannot apply for this scholarship. Otherwise, it will be denied. Only students who have not applied to any Deakin scholarships before can apply for this scholarship.
- The main academic reward will show a 20% fee reduction: an overall equivalent WAM of 70-74.9% in the most recent academic studies.
- The main academic reward will show a 25% fee reduction: an overall equivalent WAM of 75%+ in the most recent academic studies.
- International students who want to study in Australia may need to obtain an Australian student visa.
The first official requirement is that students must be international students only. Native students may be turned away if there are enough international students who have applied.
- Students can apply from Cambodia, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, New Zealand, Norway, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, UAE, or the USA.
If a student is not already in Australia (offshore international student), choose the previous country presented to check the requirements, which will look something like this:
- For the USA – Year 12 High school Diploma Certificate plus either SAT or AP exam results for further assessment.
- For Qatar – Complete foundation studies and/or a diploma program at Deakin College or at one of Deakin’s TAFE partners.
- For Kenya – Complete foundation studies and/or a diploma program at Deakin College or at one of Deakin’s TAFE partners.
Requirements for Postgraduate:
- Students must have obtained an approved three-year undergraduate degree or equivalent from an approved university or other educational institution.
- Students must present as a copy, the equivalent qualifications through examination or relevant professional or industrial experience.
- Or a student has presented to have a bachelor’s degree with honors (second class or above) from a recognized tertiary institution in an appropriate discipline for which Deakin can provide the required supervisory expertise.
How to Apply
All prospective international students who apply will be automatically assessed for the scholarship and will be advised of the outcome. There is no need to complete a scholarship application form.
The only way to apply is via online through the website link provided.
Students need to pick which course they wish to study:
- Science, engineering, and built environment
- NIKERI Institute Studies
- Arts and Education
- Business and Law
International students will need to contact an overseas representative that is provided by Deakin University. This means a student needs to contact a Deakin representative through their online portal to send in their scholarship application. A student cannot independently send in their own application, only a university representative.
Reward – Extra Benefits
The reward consists of 20% of the total indicative tuition fee stated on your offer letter. And an additional 25% of the total indicative tuition fee stated on your offer letter.
This can equal about $15,000 – $25,000 off of the tuition fees. This can easily be distributed throughout a 3-year period if it’s a graduate scholarship award. This can greatly benefit any student who wishes to take as much tuition fees off of their student loans.
There are three separate deadline times:
- Trimester/Semester 1 – this application period normally opens in late August 2022 of the prior year and remains open until March 2023.
- Trimester/Semester 2 – this application period normally opens mid-June 2022 and closes mid-July 2022.
- Trimester 3 – this application period normally opens late-October 2022 and closes mid-November 2022.
Open Window Submission Time
Open window submission times happen between:
- Trimester 1/Summer – From August 1, 2022, to March 1, 2023.
- Trimester 2/Fall – June 15, 2022 – July 15, 2022.
- Trimester 3/Winter – October 15, 2022 – November 15, 2022.
This is an annual scholarship that has three separate application deadlines each year. Each student needs to find the scholarship that fits their field study and major year. If a student is a postgraduate then they need to apply for only the postgraduate scholarship, not any other.