North Spore is the company that is offering this funding scholarship possibility to mycology students. This scholarship is a specific level scholarship, which means only undergraduates may apply or be considered eligible applicants.
North Spore was established by a mycology scientist in 2014. Where a group of college degree mycologists decided to help with building a better sustainable world. Based on food collection statistics, North Spore opened to help educate anyone with their products that different types of fungi can be used in cooking and as regenerative and alternative medicine, along with working to tame allergies that happen during the Spring season.
Mycology is the fascinating art of researching fungi, mushrooms, and yeast that has become part of our every day antibiotic medical products. Essentially earning a Mycology degree is equal to earning a medical degree.
Colleges that have mycology as a major program available:
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College
- Cedar Crest College
- Central Washington University
- Graceland University-Lamoni
- Illinois State University
- Kansas City Art Institute
- Kean University
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
- Abilene Christian University
- Abcott Institute
- ABCO Technology
Aaniiih Nakoda College
- UC Davis
A few more colleges to look at with mycology programs and online courses include:
- SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- Oregon State University
- Mycologos.com (Oregon online program courses)
- Harvard University
- PennState College of Agricultural Sciences
- Western Washington University – Fairhaven
- Ivy Tech Community College
- Agricultural Technical Institute
- Connecticut College
- Cape Cod Community College
- Merced College
- Mendocino College
- Umpqua Community College
- Walla Walla Community College
- This scholarship opportunity is open to international and domestic students. The private sponsor simply asks that international students must already hold a student visa, which means that the student is already attending an accredit university or college before applying for this opportunity.
- All applicants must be over the age of 18 years old when applying.
- Applicants must be attending college as a full-time student.
- The applicants must be studying mycology which is a form of natural science.
- Applicants should understand that they need to provide within their essay, a viable outline of why mycology can help protect and change the world for the better.
- A closely related science field to mycology would be microbiology, or the study of plant life and ecosystems.
The main requirement is that the students who intend to apply should be studying mycology, or at least a close form of natural/life science.
With the 300 word essay, the question asked is based around why this subject field would help create a better and greener world. The applicants will need to answer this prior knowledge and a keen insight into why mycology can be beneficial to the science world for years to come.
How to Apply
The only way to apply is by applying online. North Spore shows a guided outline of what each applicant needs to do in order to submit a completed scholarship application.
In this case, a300 word essay needs to be written and sent to the ‘essay e-mail’ that is listed in the contact section. This 300 word essay needs to address and answer the following:
- The beginning of the essay must have this as the subject line when e-mailing: North Spore $2,500 Mycology Scholarship | (Your Name)
- Only one submission counted per person, this means a single person cannot send in multiple submissions, otherwise they will be ignored and deemed ineligible.
- Throughout the essay, the student needs to list out why they fit the eligibility and requirements listed.
- Students must describe why mycology has become their career study.
Reward – Extra Benefits
The reward will cover various sections of a student’s fees such as room, textbooks, tuition, fees, and any equipment needed. The total amount for $2,500 is only awarded to one student that is chosen per academic year.
If a student decides to defer or take a gap a year while working under this scholarship. There is a probable outcome that the student may have to pay back a percentage if they do not follow the rules that the scholarship states.
Deadline Time Line
The official deadline date is listed as December 20, 2022. This gives students just enough time to work on their application and gather their important documents to send in with their submission.
Here at Pick a Scholarship we offer a full range scholarship database for all students looking for varying degree levels. While we provide exact information for each scholarship application and when the deadlines/open submission windows are held. We offer a contact section on each post where the admissions of the university or the director of a private sponsor can be reached to give more information or details.
All applicants should consult the e-mail address if a question has not been answered. Beforehand to check the university ‘FAQs’ page to see if anything can be answered right away.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
The open submission window time frame is currently open and re-opens a month after students reach the deadline date. Students should be able to send in their essay and any questions they need asked at any date throughout the year, that is until the deadline date of December 20, 2022.
All students should check with the company website about any delays or changes to the open submission window or deadline time frame. This is the best way to see if anything needs to reviewed or changed before submitting their application.
Annual or Renewable Scholarship Option
This is an annual scholarship that only picks one student per year. However, this is not a renewable scholarship since it is only for senior high school students that have been accepted as a freshman to a college or university.
Another agriculture and life science based scholarships to look at and see if you fit the eligibility requirements is the Agriculture and Related Sciences Scholarships which is an annual opportunity. Pick a Scholarship has several agriculture and life science scholarship opportunities available for both vocational students, college students, or even teachers looking to expand their career subject.