Drs Mary Calthorpe and George Wong, both retired ophthalmologists, have established an endowment fund to promote scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students pursuing medical degrees. Aiming to enhance the number of indigenous students working as doctors in Indigenous communities, the Calthorpe Wong Indigenous Medical Scholarship was established in 2010.
About the Scholarship:
Modern universities should be forward-thinking, student-centered, and career-focused institutions, and Flinders University is just that. Taking bold strides towards your future at Flinders University means going beyond the ordinary and achieving the extraordinary. The university provides everything you need to do so. Flinders University, which is ranked in the top 2 percent of universities worldwide*, exemplifies everything that a modern university should be: innovative, student-centered, and career-focused, among other characteristics. As a student at Flinders, you will have the opportunity to study in cutting-edge facilities with like-minded individuals who will challenge and motivate you to learn new things. The ability to think creatively, entrepreneurially, and enterprisingly – as well as to generate game-changing ideas Flinders University is invested in your success, and we use it as a yardstick to gauge our own. And it’s for this reason that we’re pleased to be voted number one in Australia for postgraduate job opportunities**.
Our degrees, which are industry-linked and certified, provide professional placement opportunities, industry projects, and mentoring programs, all of which are geared to assist you in moving beyond merely studying to earning. According to the World University Rankings, Flinders University is placed 43 in Asia Pacific and 271 overall (THE World University Rankings 2020). It is our mission to increase our global reach through international research and education collaborations, as well as to remain actively engaged with business, industry, and communities all around the world, as we move forward.
Degrees from Flinders University are internationally recognized and industry-accredited, and they will prepare you for a satisfying future in your field of study or research. CISCO and BAE Systems are just a couple of the companies that have strong industry relationships with Flinders University, allowing you to participate in practical internships while remaining job-ready and ahead of the curve. Modern buildings, state-of-the-art facilities, spectacular coastline views, and easy access to major shopping centers, the central business district, and local beaches are all accessible at Flinders University’s main campus at Bedford Park, which is located in the heart of Adelaide. The project includes a $63 million Student Hub and Plaza, which will have study rooms, retail outlets, cafes, and a bar, among other amenities. In addition to high-tech research facilities, entertainment, and retail opportunities, the Flinders Village is expected to be a dynamic urban hub. At Flinders, we place a strong emphasis on student support because we know that it is associated with student success
Flinders University and the city of Adelaide provide a number of international services and activities to help you adjust to your new university and life in Adelaide. Our world-class international student support services will be there for you from the moment you arrive until you graduate from the university. More over 90 percent of international students at Flinders University are satisfied with our student support services, which demonstrates our commitment to providing excellent service. Starting in 2020, the Flinders Village development will see the construction of a new train line and Flinders Railway Station adjacent to Flinders Medical Centre – our on-campus teaching hospital – which will connect students, industry, and the local community to the city in just 22 minutes, saving time and money. The Bedford Park campus, which is located 12 kilometers south of Adelaide’s city center, serves as the primary campus for Flinders University. With panoramic views of the city and the seaside, this is a huge, elevated site with a lot to offer.
The campus is home to cutting-edge facilities that are set within beautifully landscaped grounds that include native Australian plants and a lake. The Bedford Park campus of Flinders University blends natural beauty with a wide range of amenities to create a learning environment that is really motivating for its students. Thanks to its parks and green spaces, vibrant multicultural city life, high-quality cafés and restaurants, and proximity to award-winning wine regions, Adelaide has consistently been ranked as one of the world’s most affordable cities as well as one of the world’s top five liveable cities, according to various studies (Global Liveability Study 2016). In order to make students’ university experience as joyful as possible, Flinders University provides significant academic and personal support to all students enrolled at the university.
A wide range of outstanding food and other retail services available on campus, as well as health and wellbeing resources and programs, student grants, career and financial counselling, as well as the numerous social opportunities we organize to connect students and help them make the most of their time at Flinders University, demonstrate our commitment to improving students’ lives on campus. From the University’s main campus to the Tonsley innovation zone and Adelaide city centre, the new Flinders Train Station, which will open in 2020, will be a direct link between the two. Beginning this year, construction on the nearby Flinders Village development, which will include new research facilities and student housing among cafés, stores, and other community amenities in a lively urban core, has begun.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Flinders University
Scholarship Country: Australia
Scholarship Worth: $20,000
Study Level: Postgraduate
Nationality: International Students
- Candidates who are awarded scholarships will receive a cash grant of $20,000 per academic year for an initial term of up to four years, provided that they maintain excellent academic progress. Unless otherwise specified, payments will be made in two-week intervals.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- Scholarship applicants must meet the following requirements in order to be considered:
- Students receiving this scholarship must be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent; and identify as being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent; and be accepted as such by the community in which they live or have lived; and be enrolled in the Doctor of Medicine program at Flinders University; and be able to demonstrate financial hardship. Students receiving this scholarship are not eligible to hold similar scholarships at the same time.
- Student Finance and Scholarships will collaborate with the College of Medicine and Public Health and Yunggorendi Student Services to make the final selection.
- It will be decided who will receive the scholarship based on the following criteria:
- the requirement for financial assistance
- exhibited a strong desire to practice as a doctor in an Indigenous community upon graduation
VET students who are experiencing financial difficulties that prevent them from having access to appropriate IT hardware (eg laptop/desktop) and/or contributing to connectivity fees in order to complete the online requirements of course delivery will be awarded a one-time payment under the Australia VET Digital Scholarships program.
The Flinders University 2022 Calthorpe Wong Indigenous Medical Scholarship is open to all International Students
- To be considered, applications must be submitted electronically through the Flinders University Student System by the stipulated deadline. Please review the instructions on how to apply and make sure that all of your personal information is up to date in the Student System, as you will be evaluated based on this information.
- As part of the application process, you will be expected to submit the following documentation:
- Applicants who are in receipt of a Commonwealth Income Support payment will be required to provide documentation to prove their eligibility. This can be accomplished by submitting a recent Centrelink (or DVA) Income Statement that demonstrates that you are currently receiving government means-tested payments from the government.
- The Financial Hardship Form, which can be downloaded here, must be completed by applicants who are not currently receiving a Commonwealth Income Support payment as mentioned above.
- Submit an application for consideration.
The application deadline for Flinders University 2022 Calthorpe Wong Indigenous Medical Scholarship is July 8, 2022