The School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh offers an exciting opportunity for Postgraduate students who aim to further their higher education and pursue advanced knowledge in Machine Learning and AI Technology. The scholarship provided by the University of Edinburgh is an exciting collaboration with DeepMind, a subsidiary of Google. Together they offer one of the prestigious Ph.D. Scholarship Programs that help students pursue their Postdoctoral studies in Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning.
The scholarship wants to make sure that AI Technologies are built to help everyone and the essential part of the potential to be one of the most important technologies ever invented. The scholarship will help the Ph.D. students to engage in postdoctoral research and the opportunity to allow themselves to cultivate the necessary experience for the advancement of their portfolio, academics, and future leadership positions.
Year 2017, DeepMind launched a scholarship program to foster a more diverse and robust AI Community. This scheme seeks to empower students from an underrepresented community to pursue their graduate studies in AI and its related fields of learning by offering financial support. Additionally, the scholarship recipient will benefit from the guidance provided by the DeepMind Mentors and gain access to the events, and AI conference which will enhance their educational experience. The scholarship program will contribute to the growth and inclusivity of the Computer Science and AI Sectors which will bring together a wide array of talented and outstanding students.
DeepMind hopes to enable all students and those who are in their early careers to achieve more potential regardless of their background. They offer internship and scholarship program established with different partnership and organization that aims to broaden participation in science and protect the future of education and research.
About the University of Edinburgh
Source: University of Edinburgh
Established in 1683, the University of Edinburgh holds a distinguished position as one of the most venerable and Scotland’s earliest institutions dedicated to research and education. The university has ranked as the world’s largest and most esteemed university with an annual enrolment exceeding up to 100,000 individuals. It stands as one of the Top 20 Universities in the world.
The University boasts a diverse student body with approximately 27,500 students and comprises 22 school which also includes the international students around 6,000 individuals. The University of Edinburgh has a rich history of groundbreaking inventions, and discoveries, including their significant contribution in developing anesthesia and telephones. The university is home to the United Kingdom’s oldest Department of English Literature and Humanity Department. They played a leadership role in the introduction of Online Courses in the United Kingdom. In 2013, they earned a Prestigious Award for their groundbreaking distance learning program which revolutionized surgeon training. The University stands for the innovation in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
The International Students at the University have wide access to programs and support services through their International Office, which is designed to facilitate their experience and transitions. The University offers an Integrated English for Academic Curriculum which combines English Instruction for the postgraduate degree to ensure a comprehensive education experience. The International Students will be engaging with various events and platforms that discuss the issues related to their experience.
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Degree Level: PhD
- Number of Awards: NA
- Field of Study: Computer Science and other related Science Technology
- Duration: 3.5 Years
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
- Scholarship Awards: Tuition fee and Stipend
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application the students must meet the criteria below:
- Must be able to demonstrate thier interest in Machine Learning and other related fields.
- Must provide proof that they are a resident of a country or region underrepresented in AI.
- Must be identified as a Woman. The full details regarding gender can be found on the official website of the university.
- Must be identified as Black or other ethnicity.
- Must have good communication skills in oral and written English.
- Must possess academic excellence, an honor degree or equivalent to Artificial intelligence, computer science, machine learning, and other related fields of study offered by the University.
- Must have relevant experience in the public sector, academia, or industry.
- Possess strong programming skills and experience in natural language processing.
The applicants wil be expected to work on a drawn topic for the following research:
- multilingual generation
- augmented text generation
- language understanding and generation
The application guidelines can be found on the official website of the provider. The applicants must complete all the necessary information needed for their application form. Additional materials may be required by the university. It is important to check the deadline of the application, late and incomplete applications will not be considered and will be automatically rejected.
The University encourages all interested applicants to apply as early as possible due to the high demand of the program. The applicants with the following courses will be considered:
It is important to check the entry requirements of the university before applying for the scholarship. All applicants can track their application and accept the offer at the official website of the university.
- All interested applicants are required to demonstrate their English Level competency that will enable them to succeed in their studies, regardless of their country of residence.
The University of Edinburgh in collaboration with the DeepMind will be awarding the following to successful students:
- Fully-funded Tuition fee
- An annual stipend amounting to up to £18,622 per annum
- Research training program
- Support Grant
The scholarship period will be 3.5 years in full-time study.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until November 24, 2023.