Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program for Local and International students is now open for application. The University of British Columbia encourages outstanding Master’s and Ph.D. degree students to apply for the academic year 2023-2024. The graduate scholarship provides successful students with funds amounting to up to $18,000 per annum to assist them with their educational fees and other related cost to pursue their higher education in Canada.
Rio Tinto is dedicated to advancing innovation and research, and as a testament to this commitment, the organization provides a graduate scholarship worth $18,000 to a UBC graduate student pursuing a field of pure or applied science that pertains to Rio Tinto’s mining activities.
Scholarship Provider: University of British Columbia
About the Provider
The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a top-ranked, research-intensive institution located in the vibrant city of Vancouver, Canada. The international student, studying at UBC can offer a life-changing experience. The university boasts a diverse student population from all corners of the globe, presenting opportunities to forge friendships and professional networks across cultures. UBC’s faculty is internationally recognized, offering innovative and challenging academic programs to students.
Apart from the academic excellence, the university is situated in one of the most picturesque cities in the world, surrounded by the beauty of mountains and the ocean, providing ample opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing, and water sports. The city’s diverse culture and rich history also offer numerous exciting experiences for international students.
At UBC, international students may be able to receive a supportive and inclusive environment. The university offers various services aimed at easing the adjustment process for international students, including student accommodation support, English language courses, cultural events, scholarships, and financial assistance. These services help create a sense of community and belonging, making the transition to a new home less daunting. The opportunities offered by the university can help them achieve their personal and professional goals.
Studying at UBC as an international student is an enriching experience that opens up a world of cultural and educational opportunities. The university’s exceptional academic resources, coupled with the vibrant city of Vancouver and its multicultural community, offer an unparalleled learning experience. Students who choose UBC for their higher education can expect to receive a world-class education and gain valuable cross-cultural skills that will benefit them for years to come and be able to contribute to their home countries and communities.
The university commonly referred to as UBC, is one of the prestigious research institutions in Canada, founded in 1908 and a public university that offers a wide range of study programs for both local and international students in higher degrees. The university is recognized for its sustainability, commitment, and innovation. A leader in research and initiatives with numerous programs which aims to reduce environmental impacts and promote sustainable practice.
- Applicant’s Nationality: Local and International
- Degree Level: Master and PhD
- Field: Applied Science
- Number of Awards: NA
- Academic Year: 2023-2024
- Scholarship Country: Canada
- Scholarship Awards: $18,000 per annum
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Duration: NA
Before proceeding with the application, the students must meet the eligibility criteria for the scholarship.
- The applicants must be accepted or enrolled in their 1st year of a Master’s degree or 2nd year of a Ph.D. degree.
- International students must have good communication skills in oral and written English.
- Must be classified as an achiever in their class.
- Must be able to meet the research field areas in applied science at UBC.
- Must be able to present a research plan in any of the eligible research areas
- Must have leadership and work experience
- Must be holding an award or research publication.
Eligible Research fields in Applied Science
The selection committee wil be considering any of the research projects in the listed eligible areas.
- Science of the environment
- Applied Science
- Data Science
- Analytical technologies
- Modeling and control systems
- Electrolysis of molten salts
- Aluminum metallurgy
Criteria for the selection of the candidates will be based on the following:
- The applicant’s academic records
- Relevance of the candidate’s research proposal in any of the eligible research fields
- Awards and publications
- Leadership Experience
- Work experience
- Quality of the reference letter submitted
The application can be accessed in an online portal provided by the university. The application form must be completed including the personal information needed for the applicants.
As part of the application process, the candidates must submit the following:
- Cover letter- List your name, UBC student number, UBC graduate program, name of UBC supervisor, and names of referees providing letters of recommendation. Keep in mind that you don’t need to provide any additional information other than the items requested above. Extra information will be blocked off.
- Proof of Enrolment
- Research project description- including proposed timelines and a maximum of four pages in double-space format.
- The updated transcript of records
- Two letters of recommendations
- Updated CV
An adjudication committee composed of UBC faculty members will review nominations submitted by graduate programs and select UBC’s three nominees for the national competition. Please note that only one fellowship per university will be awarded annually. If the project fails to meet the criteria and standards of excellence set by the selection committee, Rio Tinto reserves the right not to award a fellowship. The results of the award competition are typically announced by Rio Tinto in late August.
The successful candidates for the Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program will be awarded financial support to cover their tuition fees and other related fees amounting to up to $18,000 per annum.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until June 2023.