The Centre for Grand Strategy, housed under the Department of War Studies, is pleased to announce the availability of up to three three-year PhD Studentships in History, Diplomacy, and Grand Strategy, with the first starting in September 2022.
About the Scholarship:
Kings College London was established in 1829 by King George IV and the Duke of Wellington and is the third-oldest institution in the United Kingdom. It is one among the top ten UK universities in the world according to the QS World University Rankings 2022, and among its graduates, present and previous academics are 12 Nobel Laureates, according to the QS World University Rankings. It has around 26,000 students enrolled across five campuses in central London at the time of writing. It was King’s College London that made many of the breakthroughs that have had an impact on modern life, including the discovery of the structure of DNA, and it is now the main center for the education of doctors, dentists, and other healthcare professionals in Europe. It also has the most number of Medical Research Council centers of any British university, as well as Europe’s largest dental school and the world’s oldest professional nursing school, among other distinctions. While studying at King’s College London, you will have the opportunity to participate in a number of overseas study opportunities. Over 150 international partner universities provide opportunities for you to study abroad for a semester, a year, or a summer at the University of Pennsylvania.
The King’s College London Students’ Union provides access to more than 50 sports clubs (including the Boat Club, which rows on the River Thames, and the Rifle Club, which uses the College’s shooting range beneath the Strand Campus), 60 societies, a diverse range of volunteer opportunities, two bars, and two nightclubs. Pre-sessional English sessions are available at King’s College London until 17 weeks before the start of the semester for students who wish or need to improve their English proficiency before beginning their studies. In addition to academic English sessions, classes on general study skills (such as academic writing and note-taking) are offered throughout the academic year. Legal and immigration difficulties, as well as information about the area, can all be addressed by the Student Advice Service, which is available to all students. Residents’ halls of residence are available to students at King’s College London as well as at the University of London, which is located next door. The bulk of the lodgings are within walking distance of the teaching sites and are accessible through the London Underground’s Zones 1 and 2. A wide variety of private housing alternatives are also available, and the Student Support Officer can assist you in finding the right one for you. King’s College London has around 5,000 beds spread between its catered halls of residence, transdisciplinary halls, studio apartments, and shared flats, among other facilities. Positioned within a single square mile along the Thames between Westminster and London Bridge, King’s College London is the city’s most central university, with four of its five campuses located within a single square mile of each other. The five campuses are as follows: the Strand Campus, Guy’s Campus, Waterloo Campus, St Thomas’ Campus, and Denmark Hill Campus. The Strand is the original site of King’s College, and it is located opposite to Somerset House on land that was granted to the College. The Guy’s and St Thomas’ campuses have been home to medical education for hundreds of years. Residents’ halls of residence are available to students at King’s College London as well as at the University of London, which is located next door. The bulk of the lodgings are within walking distance of the teaching sites and are accessible through the London Underground’s Zones 1 and 2. A wide variety of private housing alternatives are also available, and the Student Support Officer can assist you in finding the right one for you. King’s College London has around 5,000 beds spread between its catered halls of residence, transdisciplinary halls, studio apartments, and shared flats, among other facilities.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): King’s College London
Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Scholarship Worth: £17,609
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: International Students
The following expenses are covered by the studentship:
- Expenses for tuition at the domestic and international levels
- An annual stipend (living allowance): at the UKRI rate (which was fixed at £17,609 for the fiscal year 2021/22) for the year 2021/22.
- It is possible that further paid teaching and research opportunities will materialize.
For the first time, the University of Winnipeg is happy to say that 53 new scholarships for international students are available for the first time. You can get this scholarship if you are a first-time student going to school outside of the United States. You can get it if you are going to school at the University for the first time. If you are an international student, the President’s Scholarship for World Leaders is open to you right away.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
A high-achieving master’s degree in history or a similar field, as well as a bachelor’s degree with distinction in history or a related field, are required.
The King’s College London 2022 AJI PhD Studentship in History, Diplomacy and Grand Strategy is open to all International Students
- Please send the following documents in order to be considered:
- Letter of interest (up to three pages long) expressing your interest in conducting historically-minded research on statecraft and strategy as part of the international cohort of the Ax: son Johnson Institute for Statecraft and Diplomacy (AJI), as well as outlining your background, areas of interest, and research skills, and demonstrating how you meet the requirements outlined above
- The development of a detailed research project in the fields of political/diplomatic/military history, grand strategy, security studies, and/or strategic studies It is essential that this proposal include a well described central research question(s) as well as a methodology. In addition, it should highlight your strong fit for the AJI program by indicating any new connections you would like to make within the Centre for Grand Strategy and its associated partner institutions.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae.
- A writing sample of no more than 20 pages should be sent.
- Two academic referees’ names and contact information are required. Informing your referees that they may be approached throughout the shortlisting process and asked to offer a letter of recommendation is highly recommended by us.
The application deadline for King’s College London 2022 AJI PhD Studentship in History, Diplomacy and Grand Strategy is May 9, 2022