Oglethorpe University is giving a chance to people who want to study abroad thereby offering a special program called the James Edward Scholarship. This program is for students who have done really well in school and have the potential to contribute to the university community.
If you win the JEO competition on scholarship weekend, you could get a full-tuition scholarship and be called a JEO Scholar. Even if you don’t win, you could still get a merit award of $18,000 to $22,000 that you can renew every year.
Now, let’s briefly talk about college before we talk more about the James Edward Oglethorpe Scholarships 2023.
Table of Contents.
- What You Need To Know About The James Edward Oglethorpe Scholarships
- LEVEL/FIELD OF STUDY:
- HOST NATIONALITY:
- ELIGIBLE NATIONALITY:
- SCHOLARSHIP BENEFITS:
- Eligibility for James Edward Oglethorpe Scholarships:
- How to Apply for the James Edward Oglethorpe Scholarships
About Oglethorpe University
Oglethorpe University is a private liberal arts institution located in Atlanta, Georgia. Founded in 1835, it had a tumultuous history due to political and funding problems before becoming a permanent establishment in 1913.
The university’s 100-acre campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and boasts several historical sites, including the Crypt of Civilization, a time capsule sealed in 1936 containing numerous cultural and historical artifacts. The campus is also home to the Oglethorpe Museum of Art.
The university has a diverse sports program featuring the Stormy Petrel teams that compete in various sports such as lacrosse, basketball, tennis, softball, and volleyball.
Oglethorpe offers approximately 25 majors that cover various subjects in Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and humanities, as well as a smaller number of minors and pre-professional degrees. The university has a long-standing foreign studies program. Notable alumni of Oglethorpe University include MLB Hall of Famer Luke Appling.
What You Need To Know About The James Edward Oglethorpe Scholarships
The selection process for the JEO Scholarship winners involves three main activities. These components, which are detailed below, are designed to recognize and honor students who exhibit exceptional communication skills, demonstrate emerging leadership qualities, and actively engage in their communities.
Oglethorpe University’s faculty and a select group of fellowship candidates convene for an interactive seminar centered around a shared area of interest.
In December, you will receive a list of available seminar options and will be asked to rank them based on your preferences.
Prior to the competition, you will be provided with a relevant reading assignment to review.
By participating in these seminars, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the academic atmosphere of Oglethorpe and showcase your unique perspectives and insights during discussions, which faculty members will observe closely.
Following the seminar, each fellowship candidate is required to provide a written response related to the topic discussed during the session. The prompt for this essay will be closely tied to the seminar’s subject matter, and the scholarship committee will evaluate this written work as a reflection of your ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas effectively. This essay submission serves as an additional indicator of your intellectual and communication skills and will be considered as part of the overall evaluation of your application for the fellowship program.
Members of the Oglethorpe alumni community meet individually with candidates for a one-on-one, one-on-one interview that lasts approximately fifteen minutes.
The scholarship committee will also consider the academic performance and participation of each candidate, as evidenced by the application for admission.
LEVEL / FIELD OF STUDY:
The scholarship is available to pursue an honors course at Oglethorpe University.
The scholarship can be taken in Georgia, USA.
These scholarships are available to Georgia students.
Each James Edward Oglethorpe Scholar will receive:
- A four-year full-tuition scholarship valued at over $165,000
- An invitation to participate in the President’s Emerging Leaders Program
- A professional fellowship with one of Atlanta’s top companies.
- A distinguished professional to serve as a career mentor
- An invitation to enroll in an Honors Course during your first semester at Oglethorpe
- The opportunity to live in Honors Housing at Dempsey Hall during your 1st year
- A stipend towards participation in a study abroad course at one of our 16 exchange campuses around the world or at a Global Oglethorpe campus in London, Barcelona, or Rome
- A personal college counselor to help with academic planning, co-curricular learning, and social support during your first year.
Eligibility for James Edward Oglethorpe Scholarships:
Eligible Countries: These scholarships are available to students from Georgia.
Entry Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be Georgia students
- Applicants with a first degree from a recognized university and academically talented, who have a socioeconomic status, and who are not working at all or have been working but have not been able to cover their study expenses will be eligible for the scholarship.
English Language Requirements: Students must demonstrate that they have good written and spoken English.
How to Apply for the James Edward Oglethorpe Scholarships
Applications must be written in English and submitted via our online application form. Visit the official website for application details (link below)