The Bertarelli Foundation Fully-funded scholarship for International Ph.D. students offered by Swansea University in the United Kingdom for the academic year of 2022-2023. The scholarship aims to encourage international students to further their educational journey in marine ecology in the Biology of Sea Turtles in the Western Indian Sea.
The scholarship aims to support the students with a fully-funded tuition fee amounting to up to £16,062.
About the Project
The successful Ph.D. students will be joining and collaborating with the established team working on conservation biology in the Western Indian Ocean, the project will be consisting of the following and the students need to work on one or more of than following projects:
- Sea turtle foraging ecology at the WIO is one of the priorities of the IOSEA Sea Turtle MoU. The project will begin to explore other approaches to food analysis, such as observing turtles feeding using animal-worn cameras and DNA extracted from swabs in the esophagus and the cesspool. In addition, we will assess the diet using stable isotope analysis (SIA). This includes collecting small shells, tissue, and blood samples from turtles for SIA, as well as sampling potential food (covering taxa including algae, corals, and sponges). The sample is then analyzed (mass spectrometry) according to methods established at the Swansea University laboratory.
- The university use data collected over the past 30 years to assess sea turtle demographic changes in the WIO, including changes in body size and fertility. Using long-term datasets, the project will explore how the average size of nesting turtles decreases at sites where the number of nests increases, possibly reflecting an influx of smaller individuals for first nesting. The project will develop a theoretical model to explore this hypothesis based on the experienced Nestor and the scale of the experienced Nestor.
- Importantidentifications on the habitats and movement assessments of the sea turtles across the Western Indian Ocean.
Although all sea turtles nest on sandy beaches, at the end of the breeding season each species migrates to its preferred habitat, green turtles migrate on the seagrass beds and reef habitats for hawksbill turtles. Therefore, the high-resolution monitoring work not only identifies important protected areas but also has the added value of helping to identify the key areas of these important habitats. During the project, the research will use the network of collaborators to validate the use of sea turtles as a habitat indicator in the western Indian Ocean.
Scholarship Provider: Swansea University
About the Provider
Swansea University, founded in 1920, is one of the top public research universities in the United Kingdom that offers opportunities for higher education and approximately 330 undergraduate degree programs, and 120 master’s degree programs.
Swansea has a dynamic music scene that is constantly evolving. The city has a variety of music venues and hosts music festivals and events throughout the year, with plans underway for a new 3,500-seat arena in the heart of the city.
Studying at Swansea University will make you part of a world-class research organization with big ambitions. Not only will you have a great learning and teaching experience with a clear focus on employability, but you will also fall in love with the city. Proud to work in a proactive and collaborative environment that values equality, trust, respect, collaboration, and the challenge of providing services that exceed clients’ needs and expectations.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality; South Africa, Yemen, Timor-Leste, Mozambique; Madagascar; Mauritius, Comoros, Tanzania, India, Pakistan, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Seychelles, Kenya, Somalia, Djibouti, Singapore, Indonesia, Oman, Malaysia
- Degree Level: Ph.D. Degree
- Field: Marine Ecology
- Scholarship Awards; Fully-funded tuition fee
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
- Renewable: Yes
- Duration: NA
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Project Commencement Date: October 1, 2022
- Funds Provider: Bertarelli Foundation
To be able to proceed with the application, the interested eligible applicants must be able to meet the criteria of the scholarship.
- The applicants must be from the eligible listed countries.
- Must be holding an undergraduate degree or equivalent to 2:1 level in Bioscience or any related area of study, Master’s degree holder in Marine Biology or equivalent to the Swansea University.
- The applicant must have the skills to develop one or more of the areas in the project description. These skills should include data analysis skills with the ability to manipulate large data sets using R, ArcGIS, or other software. Field and laboratory work experience is preferred. The ability to organize large numbers of volunteers in the field is highly desirable.
- The international students must have good communication skills in oral and written English.
The students must submit an IELTS score of 6.5 overall.
To complete the application, the students must be able to apply in an online portal provided by the university.
- Applicants must select the course choice of Biological Science in Ph.D. full-time degree in three years. Keep in mind that if you already have an application to the said program, the application may have an issue and a warning notice that will prevent your application, in case, the applicants may contact the scholarship administration at [email protected] to have a better assessment regarding on the application.
- Applicants must select the commencement year of 2022.
- Personal information
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the above information accurately when applying. Submitted applications without the above information will not be considered.
- Applications are required for Individual Research Grants administered by Swansea University. Applications with multiple awards for research grants administered by Swansea University may not be considered.
As part of the application process, the students are required to submit the following:
- Transcript of Records
- Two references
- English Langage Requirement
- UK Visa if applicable
Swansea University will be providing full-tuition fee coverage to the successful students and an annual stipend amounting to up to £16,062. There will be an additional research allowance to be available.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until July 15, 222. The scholarship will be offered annually.