International students can start their application for the College of Science and Engineering Studentships for International Students offered by the University of Leicester. The scholarship aims to support the Ph.D. journey of outstanding international students who wish to pursue their degrees in the United Kingdom for the academic year 2023-2024.
The scholarship is intended for Ph.D. degree students who will be commencing their academics in the field of Engineering and Science.
Scholarship Project Detail
Standard predictive models were designed with the same number of samples in all classes. Unbalanced classification is a major challenge for the artificial intelligence community, where the distribution of samples for different classes is biased. In such a case, the classification result is dominated by a skewed distribution, where a small number of samples are in the minority class and a large number of samples are in the majority class. Skewed distribution of private data can arise in a wide variety of applications, such as cyber security, disease diagnosis, image recognition, and earth observations.
- Unlike data sampling, algorithm-level approaches focus on improving the learning and decision-making processes to increase the importance of positive classes
- Data and algorithm-level methods can be combined to address sampling and cost-sensitive learning
- Among these existing technologies, extensive studies have achieved successful success due to their high learning capacity
- While capable, deep studies also have implications for patchy data such as imbalanced data representation
With this project, you will explore the potential of engagement with the concept of support in deep learning architectures for unequal distribution. The mission is to achieve the following goals throughout every project: Establish a new foundation for deep learning with support for uneven distribution. Develop new learning strategies to solve multiple job applications without templates or scripts
- Academic Year: 2023-2024
- Applicant’s Nationality: Local and International
- Degree Level: Ph.D. degree
- Field: Science and Engineering
- Duration: 3.5 Years
- Number of Awards: NA
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
- Scholarship Awards: £16,062
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the scholarship application, the students must be able to meet the eligibility of the scholarship.
- The scholarship is open to both local and international students.
- Must be commencing a Ph.D. degree in Science and Engineering.
- Must be able to meet the entry requirements of the university.
- Applicants must be holding or have obtained the UK Bachelor’s degree in 2:1 or more in the relevant field or equivalent to international studies.
The international students must meet the language requirements of the university.
- IELTS- 6.0 overall score and minimum of 5.5
- TOEFL minimum overscore of 80 and the minimum component of 20
- Pearson Test of English(PTE) with a minimum score of 51 and maximum overall of 56
To apply for the scholarship program, the students must access the online portal application provided by the University of Leicester. On the application portal, click the apply button at the bottom of the page and the applicants must select on the dropdown menu January 2023.
In the application funding section, the students must specify the CSE ZZHOU in the provided space. The proposal section must provide the supervisor’s name and the title of the project ” Deep Learning for Imbalanced Classification”.
Keep in mind that the applicants are not required to submit a research proposal, however, there will be additional documents needed to support their application.
As part of the application process, the applicants must submit the following to support their application:
- Personal Statement that explains their interest in the project, student’s experience, and why you should be considered for the scholarship program.
- Degree certificates
- Transcript of records that the applicants have completed, and as much as possible the transcript must be up to date and when the study has been undertaken.
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency
- Two academic referees must be uploaded a letter of reference.
The University of Leicester will provide an annual stipend of £16,062, and a tuition fee waiver to the successful students for 3.5 years.
Successful students must maintain their academics to be able to continue receiving awards. Successful students are required to read and agreed to the terms and conditions applied to the scholarship.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is July 31, 2022. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.