This scholarship is possible and funded by the APOA Foundation which receives there funding from private donations and publicly funded donations to ensure students receive the best possible reward.
This scholarship is actually multiple scholarship opportunities, funded by one sole foundation. With that in mind, this means students can apply to multiple scholarships that they fit the eligibility for, allowing for more potential possibilities.
The different scholarships attached to the AOPA foundation which students are considered all eligible for are called:
- AOPA Foundation Scholarship
- The Ray Foundation
- The A&J Scholarship
- The Breitling Aviation Scholarship
- The Ceci Stratford Flight Training Scholarship
- The Daniel T. Taussig Memorial Flight Training Scholarship
- The Dave Monti Aviation Scholarship – Flight Training
- The Dave Monti Aviation Scholarship – Aviation Maintenance
- The Dave & Florence Kleine Flight Training Scholarship
- The Dudley D. and Delores R. Malone Memorial Flight Training Scholarship
- The Edward B. Shafer Future of Flight Scholarship
- The Edward Prosperi Memorial Instrument Rating Scholarship
- Erral Lea and Glenn Plymate Memorial Flight Training Scholarship
- The Fred and Diane Fitts Memorial Flight Training Scholarship by CAA
- The Robert Bossi Memorial Instructor Scholarship
- The Scott Stuart Flight Training Scholarship
- The V.R. Eaton Aviation and Aeronautics Academy Scholarship – Flight Training
- The V.R. Eaton Aviation and Aeronautics Academy Scholarship – Aviation Maintenance
Yes, any student or teacher that sends in one application is immediately and automatically entered into each listed above scholarship opportunity.
- There is an age limit on this scholarship which states that any applicant should be 16 years old or older.
- For any applicant to receive a scholarship from AOPA the student must be a U.S. citizen or have a permanent resident card.
- AOPA allows not only students but teachers to apply for the many scholarship opportunities available.
- Applicants only have to submit one scholarship application to be deemed eligible for multiple scholarship opportunities from AOPA.
- Every applicant needs to enter the address and name of two potential references, this can be professors, trainers, or high authority figures in that applicants life. After the individual sends in their application, these two referenced individuals will receive an e-mail indicating that they are in need to submit a reference on behalf of the student or teacher.
- The application cannot be printed out. This is against regulations.
- Everyone should become or enter for a membership to the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association before applying for a scholarship.
Before any individual applies, they should pass the FAA Private Pilot written knowledge exam first. The AOPA website does offer three different reference guides so students can pass these exams.
Each student or teacher needs to provide a primary certificate to present with their application.
How to Apply
The best way to apply if through the website’s online portal. It is quite simply and easy to use, the application will be available when the open submission window time frame opens back up in the Fall to Winter months.
The best way to find the application submit button is by, looking to access the General Application, then clicking on the button that says “Sign In” in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
Luckily enough, after the individual has completed there General Application. This is where the system will automatically match each applicant to every open eligible scholarship(s) based on the information provided by the application.
Reward – Extra Benefits
An individual who becomes a recipient of one of these potential scholarship opportunities can receive up to $14,000 per academic year.
If a student decides to defer or take a gap a year while working under this scholarship. There is a probable outcome that the student may have to pay back a percentage if they do not follow the rules that the scholarship states.
Deadline Time Line
The official deadline date is February 11, 2023. Since the 2022 year has already passed by, however, this means students can gear up to submit for the 2023 academic year.
Here at Pick a Scholarship we offer a full range scholarship database for all students looking for varying degree levels. While we provide exact information for each scholarship application and when the deadlines/open submission windows are held. We offer a contact section on each post where the admissions of the university or the director of a private sponsor can be reached to give more information or details.
All applicants should consult the e-mail address if a question has not been answered. Beforehand to check the university ‘FAQs’ page to see if anything can be answered right away.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
The open submission window time frame is re-opened in the Fall/Winter for students to submit their application for the next academic year. Recipients who have won will hear that they have won by May of 2023.
Students should check back on November 1, 2022 to see that the application submission is re-opened for new students and teachers to submit to.
All students should check with the university website about any delays or changes to the open submission window or deadline time frame. This is the best way to see if anything needs to reviewed or changed before submitting their application.
Anyone can sign up to receive university newsletters to stay updated on the latest information.
Annual or Renewable Scholarship Options
This is a annual scholarship that awards a number a of students. Which makes this a less competitive scholarship opportunity. Because up to 200 individuals are awarded each academic year.
There are a number of scholarships given out that are renewable and will be renewed by the association foundation. Students or teachers will be notified if their application has been renewed for a second year.
All individual that wish to look at what scholarship opportunities are available, will be automatically entered into all scholarship opportunities when they submit their one scholarship application.
Every person that does not receive an award, can reapply every year until they become a recipient.
Another aviation scholarship to look at and see if you fit the eligibility requirements is the Eddie Queen Business Aviation Management Scholarship which is an annual opportunity. Pick a Scholarship has several aviation opportunities available for both students and teachers.