As a medical student, $12,000 will reduce the cost to a greater extent. Do not lose this chance. Read and apply now.
The University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine is pleased to announce its Pathways to Medicine Scholarship, which is one of the newest Pathways to Medicine scholarships at the University of Calgary.
The program supports the enrollment and success of prospective MD students from traditionally underrepresented groups throughout Alberta.
A group of dedicated general practitioners brings specialized family medicine training to Calgary. A three-year residency for certification in General Practice is done at Calgary General Hospital.
Do you dream of being a doctor but medical school seems out of reach?
If you have the brains, passion, and dedication to pursue it, a career in medicine is within your grasp. If you’re a high school graduate from anywhere in Alberta who wants to help people lead healthier lives, your path to medicine could start right now.
Take note that this scholarship is to be taken in Canada. Prize selection will be based on the overall quality of the entries submitted and will be at the sole discretion of Cumming Medical School.
What you need to know about the Pathways to Medicine Scholarship
This scholarship includes tuition support for your choice of University of Calgary undergraduate program, a relocation grant if you need it, supports a paid summer internship, and connects you with mentors from the faculty, student body, and community. When you complete your bachelor’s degree, you are guaranteed admission (assuming certain criteria are met) into the university’s MD program.
If you’re a high school graduate from anywhere in Alberta who wants to help people lead healthier lives, your path to medicine could start right now.
How much is the University of Calgary Pathway to Medicine Scholarship worth?
Recipients of the Pathway to Medicine Scholarship at the University of Calgary will enjoy the following benefits:
- Tuition and Fees: $5,000/year (for four years)
- Relocation Allowance: Up to $1,000
- Summer internship: $6,000 (in the third year)
Who can apply for the University of Calgary Pathways to Medicine Scholarship? The Eligibility
- Eligible Countries: The scholarship is available to domestic students.
- Entry Requirement: Applicants must apply to their undergraduate program at the University of Calgary independently.
- The scholarship applies only to studies at the University of Calgary.
- Applicants must be residents of Alberta as defined by the Cumming School of Medicine (CSM) Admission Policy. See MD Program Applicant Manual
- Only students of low socioeconomic status are eligible for this scholarship. Applicants who are of indigenous descent and/or from a rural community will be considered.
- Note: Low socioeconomic status is defined as having a median gross family income (as reported on line 260 of personal and parental tax returns) that is 1.5 times or less than the Statistics Canada pre-tax “limits.” Low Income” (LICO) for the last two or three years. More information can be found in the Pathways to Medicine Scholarship Applicant Handbook.
- Note: Applicants whose parents have graduate or professional degrees (eg, MBA, PhD, MD, LLB, etc.) will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but are unlikely to be awarded a scholarship. The scholarship is primarily intended to support people who come from socially disadvantaged backgrounds in addition to financial disadvantages.
- Note: Rural is defined as having graduated from high school in a community of less than 15,000 inhabitants.
- Note: Indian applicants must provide a status card/certificate of Indian status or offer other documentation of Indian ancestry. Metis applicants must provide a
- Metis membership card issued by a recognized provincial Metis organization associated with the National Council of Metis.
- All applicants must provide a letter of nomination from their high school principal or a representative of a recognized community organization, indigenous group, or rural community.
- Note: Community organization is defined as a nonprofit or geographic entity that serves or represents target populations (rural, indigenous, or urban underserved). Organizations may nominate a maximum of two applicants per application year.
Level/field of study
These scholarships are available to study an undergraduate degree program awarded to study any of the subjects offered by the university.
The scholarship is to be taken in Canada. Prize selection will be based on the overall quality of the entries submitted and will be at the sole discretion of Cumming Medical School.
This scholarship is for Canadian students. If you are an international student and you wish to study in America, this is a list of the Latest Undergraduate Scholarships for America.
How to Apply for University of Calgary Pathways to Medicine Scholarship
The deadline to apply to the University of Calgary is March 1, 2022, please refer to the University of Calgary Application for Admission.
All applicants who express an interest in the scholarship program will be asked to complete a preliminary Pathways to Medicine scholarship application by March 31, 2022.
Preliminary applications and the shortlist will be reviewed by the Pathways to Medicine Committee based on two criteria: that the applicant fits the vision of the Pathways program and that the applicant demonstrates a strong academic ability. Shortlisted applicants will be required to complete a comprehensive secondary application and participate in a committee interview process.
Deadline For Application
The deadline to apply to the University of Calgary is March 1, 2022, while applicants selected for the Pathway to Medicine Scholarship must submit their applications by March 31, 2022.
Applicants will be informed of award decisions by the end of June 2022