To promote access to higher education for international students who have escaped persecution and sought refuge in the United Kingdom, the University of London offers the Sanctuary Scholarship for the academic year of 2022-2023. To support asylum seekers in the UK, the university came up with an idea to provide a scholarship that will help them further their education in an undergraduate degree.
Many universities in the United Kingdom offers Sanctuary Scholarship for the asylum seeker to help them continue their education, one of the university is the Royal Holloway University of London. The Sanctuary Scholarship is intended for the students who will be commencing their undergraduate degree in any eligible courses offered by the university.
One asylum seeker will be awarded a full-tuition fee coverage in an undergraduate degree which wil be available for up to three years and a bursary amounting to up to £12,000 per annum. The university wants to provide an education to achieve the student’s career goals and have the opportunity to share their knowledge and skills with the community and to their home country.
Scholarship Provider: Royal Holloway University of London
About the Provider
The Royal Holloway University of London offers annual bursaries and scholarship that supports both local and domestic students to pursue their education and build more confidence towards achieving their future career goals.
The university is committed to the development and fundamental supports that will enhance today’s future generation leaders and build a community with more future leaders. Studying at the university can help every student discover their interest and be involved in other activities that can boost their creativity and knowledge.
From faculty members to the community on both local and international students, students may be able to seek more support and interactions that wil guide them with their educational journey.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Nationality: International
- Degree Level: Undergraduate
- Field: Any eligible field offer by the university
- Duration: Three years
- Number of Awards: 1
- Scholarship Awards: Full tuition-fee coverage bursaries to up to £12,000 per annum
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Before proceeding to the application process students must be able to meet the eligibility criteria of the scholarship.
- Applicants must be a child, or an asylum seeker itself must be holding a discretion to leave to remain.
- Must be ineligible to receive funds from any of the student’s loan companies either tuition fees or any form of loans.
- Must be holding a right to further their education in the UK.
- Holding an offer to commence their undergraduate program at the university.
- Mus the able to complete and submit their application forms before the deadline.
- The applicants must be able to submit scholarship statements and referrals statements.
Application Process and Deadlines
The application must be completed to the university application portal on or before the deadline. The deadline to complete and submit all the application forms and documents to support the scholarship application is until May 9, 2022.
Scholarship Application Important Guidelines
To be able to complete the scholarship application, the students are also required to submit two statements. Statements and guidelines are below:
Personal Scholarship Statements
Interested students are required to submit a personal statement composing of 1000 words which outline the following:
- The asylum seeker’s country of origin has left to claim their asylum status.
- Asylum status terms that you are claiming either political, educational, or religious, etc. and you must provide a piece of information about the reason for the claim.
- Any list of references for the asylum status in the UK.
- Arrival date in the UK and status of the application on asylum status.
- Give details on your educational attainment and any other achievements.
- Details on the family and other circumstances that you have to overcome in order to further your education.
- Your chosen degree program and why you choose it.
- What will be your inspiration to further your education and will it help you achieve your career and goals.
- Provide other information about why you deserve to achieve the scholarship award.
Referee’s Supporting Statements
This statement can be written by someone who knows you personally and can describe the following:
- Referees must give information about your personal status.
- The financial difficulty that you have overcome in order to achieve your education.
- How can you be suited to the degree program you will choose and can the course help you in your ambitions.
- What contribution on the knowledge you have contributed to the community or university.
- The referee should write on how they believe in your personality to be one of the students to be awarded the scholarship.
- The referee must provide other information that can be relevant to your scholarship application.
The university strongly advises that the students can provide a copy of their personal statements to the referees to be able;e to support the statements. The referee must be able to provide their complete details e.g names, contact details, and other relevant information that can be used on the scholarship application.
The students are also advised to submit a copy of their immigration status or documents as part of the application process.
The University of London will be providing an award for one deserving undergraduate student. A full tuition fee covering the student’s tuition fee for three years and a bursary of f £12,000 per annum.
The students who will be on their 3 years bachelor’s degree and choose to further their second year in other countries will be having the tuition fee owing to the Royal Holloway University of London that will be waived by the Sanctuary Scholarship. However, there will be no case awards that will be received in case of the circumstances.
The fourth-year undergraduate students who will choose to spend their third year abroad will not be receiving any scholarship funding on their 3rd year. However, a full-tuition fee reduction will be awarded in their 4th year.
Sanctuary Scholarship offered by the Royal Holloway University of London will be offered annully.