Committed to helping grow the number of female graduating technologists and to foster the view of Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Information Technology as one of the career choices for women, the Queensland University of Technology in Australia encourages outstanding and talented female students in Australia and New Zealand to apply for the Women in Science, Mathematics and IT Merit Scholarship for the academic year of 2022-2023.
The scholarship is exclusively created to support women who want to undertake their undergraduate degree program in Mathematics, Science and technology, engineering, and Information Technology. The students in Australia or New Zealand who have achieved their ATAR of 90 or above will be eligible for the scholarship and will be awarded a total value of $10,00 for up to four years.
Scholarship Provider: the Queensland University of Technology in Australia
About the Provider
Ranked in Australia’s top 10 universities in Excellence in Research for Australia and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Queensland University of Technology is a public research university dedicated to addressing global challenges and achieving sustainability.
Queensland University of Technology’s mission is to enable the innovators and entrepreneurs of the future to recognize, commercialize and realize opportunities to create value for others. QUT students have access to the best teachers, study the most advanced technology and learning spaces, and gain plenty of practical industry experience to prepare them for the real world.
QUT aims to address global challenges and achieve sustainability through its research, curriculum, campus operations, and collaboration. Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is a large Australian university with a truly global perspective. They are home to nearly 50,000 students and provide real infrastructure, learning, teaching, and graduate skills to the next generation of innovators.
QUT is committed to providing real learning experiences and research solutions across a range of disciplines and their courses are in high demand. The university’s strengths include an award-winning education, relevant research on community benefit, entrepreneurial commitment and creativity, high student satisfaction, and excellent graduate employment outcomes.
The STEM Strategy at the Queensland University of Technology
The university is committed to ensuring that the young generations regardless of their color, background and ethnicity will learn about Science and Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics fields and for the career opportunities that are open to them.
The STEM strategy of the university includes:
- Support school and STEM participation
- Development of educational tools and resources for primary, middle, and high school classes
- expand opportunities and provide more scholarships to expand participation programs.
- Provide professional development and training for STEM teachers Engage in STEM-related business activities through business networks and projects
- Celebrate the best in research and innovation.
The university research shapes research agendas in STEM develop insights to transform business and government practice and generates evidence to support its understanding of learners and teachers involved in STEM. It delivers real results. The STEM Education Research Group uses a variety of methods to examine key issues facing STEM teaching and learning, understand how young people interact with STEM content, and inform policies to improve the STEM skills of teachers and students.
Women are underrepresented in STEM and the university is committed to closing the gender gap. Creating more research teams and leaders will open doors to areas that lack STEM research and provide new perspectives.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: Australia and New Zealand
- Degree Level: Undergraduate Degree
- Field: Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Information Technology
- Number of Awards: NA
- Scholarship Award: $10,000
- Scholarship Country: Australia
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Duration: Four years
Interested students must meet the following eligibility criteria to continue with the application process.
- Must complete year 12 or a gap year in 2022.
- Starting their university with an undergraduate degree in 2023.
- Must be a female student
- Must be a permanent resident, citizen, or hold a permanent humanitarian visa in Australia or New Zealand.
- Must achieve their ATAR 90 or above
- Have an offer of a place to QUT as their preferences.
- Must be applying in the following field courses: Information Technology, Games and Interactive Environment, Mathematics, Science, Data Science, Chemistry, Earth Science, and Physics.
- Must have a double degree in the eligible courses mentioned above.
Scholarships for women in science, mathematics, and IT do not require a completed scholarship application. All eligible students who complete a QTAC application by the QTAC deadline will be considered based on their academic achievement and gender. Students must first apply for admission to their undergraduate program at QUT. Students who complete the QTAC application will be considered for the scholarship
The applicants are required to submit the following:
Students must be able to submit any of the following:
There will be two requests,
- The first competition will be offered to applicants who choose QUT as their first choice in January 2023.
- The 2nd application will be processed after the 1st submission deadline.
The scholarship does not mean that you will be accepted into the course for which you have applied. You will also need to apply and be accepted by QTAC.
- Enroll full-time in a course suited to your study period Achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 5 each semester.
- You can not: delay the scholarship offered program. If you have any questions about other scholarships, please contact Scholarships@qut.edu.au.
Keep in mind that the scholarship will only be offered to female students who will be commencing their first-year undergraduate degree at the QUT.
The QUT will be providing the following award to successful students.
- $7,500 scholarship amount for eligible undergraduate students in the Faculty of Science
- $10,000 Scholarship amount for an eligible undergraduate degree student majoring in Science Advance.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until August 19, 2022.