East Tennessee State University is a public research university in Johnson City, Tennessee. Although it is part of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee, the university is governed by an institutional Board of Trustees. As of May 2017, it is the fourth-largest university in the state and has off-campus centers in nearby Kingsport, Elizabethton, and Sevierville.
ETSU is classified among “R2: Doctoral Universities – High research activity.” It hosts the James H. Quillen College of Medicine which is often ranked as one of the top schools in the United States for rural medicine and primary care education; the Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy, the College of Nursing, the College of Public Health, and the recently formed College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences. Unique programs include an accredited program in Bluegrass, Old-Time, and Country Music, America’s lone master’s degree in Storytelling, and the Appalachian Studies programs focused on the surrounding Appalachian region.
East Tennessee State Normal School in 1911 to educate teachers; the K-12 training school, called University School, operates to this day. East Tennessee State officially became a college in 1925 when it changed its name to East Tennessee State Teachers College, subsequently gaining accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1927.
The research mission of ETSU advances scholarly and creative activity that enhances the teaching and learning environment and benefits the regional, national, and global communities served. ETSU strongly supports and encourages faculty and student research. In FY12, ETSU was awarded over $50 million in research, public service, and training/instruction grants.
The ETSU Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Administration (ORSPA) organizes an annual event, the Appalachian Student Research Forum, for students to showcase their research via poster and/or oral presentations. At the April 2012 event, over 150 student posters and oral presentations were made and over $5,000 was given in prize money to undergraduate, graduate, medical students, medical residents, and postdoctoral fellows.
- The International Students Academic Merit Scholarship is open to new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree.
- Must be a freshmen student entering college for the first time.
- Both male and female students may apply.
- Since it is for international students only, domestic students cannot apply for this scholarship.
- Be admitted to ETSU as full-time, degree-seeking students.
- Students that intend to apply must have shown in the past or demonstrated a record of academic achievement.
- All international students will be asked to submit all English language proficiency scores (if applicable)
- New students must complete two health forms prior to registering for classes and enrolling in ETSU. The Student Health Form and the Meningitis and Hepatitis B Immunization Health Form. Health history requirements may be viewed from the Health Services webpage.
- Must provide certification from a parent or guardian or other responsible person or organization that ample financial support will be provided while attending ETSU. Financial documentation provided must be original documents.
Academic Programs Available:
- Accelerated Bachelors to Masters Degree Program
- Accountancy Major, B.B.A.
- Accountancy Major, B.B.A.-M.Acc.
- Accountancy Minor
- Advertising Minor
- Allied Health Major, B.S. (Allied Health Leadership Concentration)
- Allied Health Minor
- American Sign Language Minor
- Anthropology Major, B.A.
- Anthropology Major, B.A. and Social Work Major, B.S.W. Articulation Agreement *
- Anthropology Minor
- Appalachian Studies Minor
- Applied Science Major, B.A.S. (Culinary Leadership Concentration)
- Applied Science Major, B.A.S. (Industrial Leadership Concentration)
- Applied Science Major, B.A.S. (Professional Development Concentration)
- Archaeology Minor
- Art History Minor
- Art Major, B.A. (Art History Concentration)
- Art Major, B.A. (Studio Art Concentration)
- Art Major, B.F.A. (Studio Art Concentration)
- Art Minor
- Astronomy Minor
- Biology Major, B.S. (Biochemistry Concentration)
- Biology Major, B.S. (Biology Concentration)
- Biology Major, B.S. (Biology Secondary)
- Entrepreneurship Minor
- Environmental Health Major, B.S.E.H. (Environmental Health Practices Concentration)
- Environmental Health Minor
- Environmental Studies Minor
- Epidemiology Minor
- Family Studies Minor
- Film and Media Studies Minor
- Finance Major, B.B.A. (Banking Concentration)
- Finance Major, B.B.A. (Corporate Finance and Investments Concentration)
- Finance Major, B.B.A. (Real Estate Concentration)
- Finance Minor
- Foreign Languages Major, B.A. (German Concentration)
- Foreign Languages Major, B.A. (Japanese Concentration)
- Foreign Languages Major, B.A. (Spanish Concentration)
- French Minor
- General Business Minor
- Geographic Information Systems Minor
- Geography Minor
- Geology Minor
- Geosciences Major, B.S. (Geography Concentration)
- Geosciences Major, B.S. (Geology and Environment Concentration)
- Geosciences Major, B.S. (Geospatial Science Concentration)
- Geosciences Major, B.S. (Paleontology Concentration)
- German Minor
- Global Health and Development Minor
- Graphic Design Major, B.F.A.
- Health Administration Major, B.S.
- Health Administration Minor
- Health Sciences Major, B.S.
- Health Sciences Mino
- And hundreds of more courses
Scholarship applicants must apply for admission to ETSU before their scholarship applications can be reviewed.
It is essential that international students have or plan to have an F-1 or J-1 student visa
(F-1 visa information, J-1 visa information).
While this international scholarship opportunity is specifically for undergraduates, there are other alternative scholarships available for upperclassmen.
For this scholarship, all students must commit eight semesters if they are undergraduate recipients. However, for five semesters for recipients seeking a master’s degree, or commensurate with the length of the program. Then for, eight semesters for doctoral students, or commensurate with the length of the program.
How to Apply
First off, all international students that fit into the criteria, must submit a recommendation form.
Afterward, all students that wish to apply for this scholarship will need to fill out the scholarship application form.
The best time for students to apply happens to be as soon as possible once they are admitted to East Tennessee State University.
Reward – Extra Benefits
The scholarship covers 50 percent of the total in and out-of-state tuition and maintenance fees only. No additional fees or costs are covered.
This would be estimated at around $10,000 USD.
The official date is during the Fall semester deadline which is no later than July 15, 2022. The next deadline date would be the Spring semester deadline, which is no later than October 15, 2022.
However, students should check the university website frequently to see if any updates have been shared or if an extension date has been posted.
Open Window Submission Time Frame
Technically their are two open sindow submission time frames available which involves the Fall semester deadline, which is from March to July 2022. The next open submission window time frame is during the Spring deadline which will last from July to October 2022.
This is an annual scholarship that picks a handful of students each year.