The University of Calgary has the Jason Lang Scholarship that looks to award a talented academic student who wants to work towards a professional career in law, medicine, or veterinary medicine. Officially the University of Calgary was started in 1908 but did not cater to higher education until 1944. This university is a public research center.
Other academic programs that are available include:
- Actuarial Science
- Ancient and Medieval History
- Anthropology (arts)
- Archeology (arts)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business Analytics
- Business Technology Management
- Communication and Media Studies
- East Asian Language Studies
- Energy and Professional Land Management
- Exercise and Health Psychology
- Film studies
- Global Development Studies
- Language and Culture
- Leadership and Coaching
- Law and Society
- Plant Biology
- Real Estate studies
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Social Work
- Software Engineering
- Urban studies
- Visual studies
Above is not the complete list of all of the undergraduate programs that are available in the University of Calgary. However, this scholarship has specific requirements to be considered a professional program which involves medicine and law.
When it comes to the tuition amount at the University of Calgary, students can expect that for studying medicine can average out to an annual amount of $20,000 for Canadian citizens where as it’s $40,000 for international students.
Veterinary Medicine studies will conclude to an annual total of $7,000 per year. That amount is for Canadian citizens where as international students will pay around the same amount.
- This scholarship is designed for students who want to pursue a professional academic field like medicine, veterinary medicine, or law studies.
- The applicants must be working towards their undergraduate studies.
- Must be a citizen, considered a permanent resident, or a protected individual seen by the government of Canada. This means that international students will student visas are deemed not eligible.
- Students that are Canadian citizens must be Alberta residents as well. However, if the student slowly has a parent or both parents living in Alberta that student can still apply.
- Students that are wanting to apply must have a minimum 3.2-grade point average out of 4.0 grading scale.
- Eligible students must be considered full-time at the University of Calgary.
A student that is deemed not eligible would be these following things:
- Any student that is already enrolled in a 1-year certificate
- If the student does not return for the second semester of school
- Students can have this scholarship renewed for 3 years, and once a student has successfully done so they cannot apply for a 4th year
How to Apply
The only way to apply is by completing a full form to the Student Awards Office (Center) that is located at the higher education institution or contact the information in the contact section.
When the students are being awarded, they will be awarded by the Student Awards Office at the any of the secondary-education places located in Alberta. A secondary education is also considered high school.
Reward – Extra Benefits
This scholarship comes with a $1,000 reward. The $1,000 amount will go towards tuition for the students who are awarded this amount. With this, the $1,000 is considered a discount towards their tuition. If the student does end up renewing this scholarship for 3 years, that student will have $3,000 where $1,000 is used to cover tuition for 1 year.
Deadline Time Line
There are four sets of deadline times available. Two for applications and two dates for documents. This deadline window ends on the Fall and Winter dates known as September 30, 2022, and January 15, 2023. Those two dates are the official application closing dates. However, the document closing date is a separate time completely. Document deadlines are on October 10, 2022 and January 20, 2023.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
The official submission window opening is on July 1, 2022. This open window extends until both September 30, 2022 and January 15, 2023. Those two dates are the official application closing dates. However, the document closing date is a separate time completely. Document deadlines are on October 10, 2022 and January 20, 2023.
Annual or Renewable Scholarship Option
This is an annual scholarship that finds certain students that are deemed eligible. This scholarship can be renewed for up to 3 years. After the 3rd year is finished the student must apply for a different scholarship.
Students are deemed not eligible after the 4th year, where there scholarship will come to a natural end at the end of the second semester.
Here at Pick a Scholarship we offer a full range scholarship database for all students looking for varying degree levels. While we provide exact information for each scholarship application and when the deadlines/open submission windows are held. We offer a contact section on each post where the admissions of the university or the director of a private sponsor can be reached to give more information or details.
All students should check with the university website about any delays or changes to the open submission window or deadline time frame. This is the best way to see if anything needs to be reviewed or changed before submitting their application.