Single parenting is not that easy, it comes with many different reasons. As a single parent, you may be concerned about creating and building a happy and healthy family environment that your child needs. The good news is that you absolutely can. The challenges that single parents face vary depending on their situation, but there are also common instances that most single-parent families have.
The Oklahoma Single Parent Scholarship Program
The Oklahoma Single Parent Scholarship Program offers a scholarship for a low-income single parent who wants to further their education and achieve their career goals not only for themselves but also for their family.
The organization aims to help the struggling single-parent to achieve or fulfill their dreams by giving financial support and encouragement that can divert their life in the good way possible. Single parents — who often hold their jobs, raise their own children, struggle to make a living, and are often close to dropping out of school — can earn life-changing degrees and break out of poverty.
Scholarship Provider: The Oklahoma Single Parent Scholarship Program
About the Provider
The Oklahoma One Parent Scholarship Program registered in 2016, implementing a model that has been very successful in Arkansas. Since its inception 25 years ago, the Single Parent Scholarship Fund has provided millions of scholarships to poor single parents seeking higher education. 89% of scholarship holders will either complete their training in the next year or continue it. This is in stark contrast to Oklahoma, where less than half of Oklahoma undergraduate students graduate in six years or less and nearly a third 30% of new Oklahoma public college students do not return to college in their sophomore year.
The founder of the new Oklahoma program has more than a decade of experience as director of the Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund, where she had played a key role in her success. After moving back to Oklahoma, she met Jean Warner, who has experience as a leader in Oklahoma nonprofits and shares her passion for helping single-parent students thrive. Shortly before their meeting, Warner did the research for the Oklahoma Women’s Foundation and found a lack of financial resources and support for single mothers studying in their state. Over the past years, the two women have researched, recruited, networked, and laid a solid foundation for the Oklahoma program.
The organization aims to change the lives of families across the country, increase the education levels, reduce poverty, and prevent families from relying on tax-funded aid.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Nationality: USA
- Degree Level: Undergraduate
- Field: Any chosen program in an eligible institution.
- Duration: NA
- Number of Awards: NA
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Scholarship Award: $1,000
- Scholarship Country: USA
Before proceeding with the application, interested students must check the eligibility of the scholarship program below:
- The applicants must be a resident of Oklahoma in the USA.
- Must be a custodial parent of at least one child and under the age of 18 years old living with a single-parent household.
- The applicants must be full-time students in a non-profited college, institution, or any university located in Oklahoma, Cleaveland or in Logan.
- The students must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree, full time or vocational aiming to get their degree.
- The students must have completed one semester already.
- Students must not be holding a bachelor’s degree.
- The applicants who have professional certificates or hold any degree are not eligible for the scholarship program.
- Minimum of 2.5 GPA on their recent semester.
- The students must be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant.
The full-time degree must be able to be admitted in 12 or more credit hours. Any chosen program will be accepted but in some cases, the organization preferred that the students are taking up the courses program below:
- Anesthesia Technology
- Emergency Medical Science
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Respiratory Care Therapist
- Speech-Language Pathology Assistant
To be able to continue with the application, the students are required to use the provided portal of the organization. The application process may require some supporting documents from the students.
- Birth Certificate
- Certificates and test scores
- Financial Infomation
- 3 Letter of Recommendation
There will be three essays to be completed during the application process at the portal. Applicants must make sure to follow the instructions given in the essay and better outline the following question in a maximum of 5000 words.
The essay is about your educational objectives, perspective and how do you prefer yourself to achieve your career goals in life. Other essays will let you give a statement about the unique hardship that you and your family have to go through that causes you to struggle on achieving higher education. Upon achieving your goal, do you think you can contribute to your community and improve your life?
The Oklahoma One Parent Scholarship Program will be providing financial assistance every semester to successful students amounting to $1,000. The scholarship award can be renewed.
The Scholarship will also be mentoring certain activities and the recipient of the awards must be able to attend all the activities from the organization and be a part of the community.
Additional Scholarship Information
- As one of the non-profit organizations, the funds were made possible by the generosity of certain individuals, corporate donors, and private foundations.
- The students who are selected for the OSPSP are eligible for $1,200 per semester. Funds can be used to cover their tuition fees, books, utilities, mortgage, rent, transportation, groceries, family needs, childcare, and medicines. (Pell scholarships are expected to fund most or all of the education.)
- In addition to the allocated funds, OSPSP the recipient of the award may be asked to participate in seminars or mentoring activities offered. Information for scholarship holders will follow.
The deadline to complete the scholarship application is until May 2022. The scholarship will be offered annually by the organization.