AbbVie and SASA scholarships take care of the financial burden of medical students in South Africa. The scholarship is worth up to R12, 500.00. This is the opportunity to study in South Africa for free.
For you to win the AbbVie and SASA Scholarships 2022, please read until the end of this article.
SASA is an associated institution, which is dedicated to improving the field of anesthesia from an academic and clinical point of view.
AbbVie is focused on combining high-level science with exemplary competencies to remedy health emergencies around the world.
About the AbbVie and SASA Scholarship
AbbVie (Pty) Ltd and the South African Society of Anesthesiologists (SASA) have partnered to offer funding to graduate students and Health Officers, who are undertaking further study in anesthesia.
AbbVie and SASA Scholarship South Africa goals include:
- To support promising and needy anesthesia registrars in training in
a sustainable way.
- Identify, attract and retain previously disadvantaged students in the
specialty and profession, especially from the medical environment.
- To further the interest of Academic Anesthesia and to identify and maintain high-quality, academically sound graduate students in academia.
- In general, contribute to an environment conducive to training in
AbbVie Scholarships are for people pursuing graduate programs.
AbbVie and SASA South Africa scholarships are taken and hosted in South Africa.
The AbbVie and SASA South Africa scholarships are for The Work Committee students
The AbbVie Scholarship and SASA award of benefits will be reviewed annually and is subject to change without prior notice to prospective applicants.
An amount not to exceed R12,500.00 (Twelve thousand five hundred rands only) is what successful applicants receive per year.
For both new and repeated prizes, the annual maximum is 15 (fifteen).
Each year, new scholarships are awarded at the SASA National Congress. Recipients will not pay conference registration fees.
Please note that there are only four (4) prizes available annually.
Applicants must meet the following minimum entry standards before applying:
- South African citizens/ students in all those SADEC states,
- The present postsecondary student at a South African University,
- Registered for the separate clinic for an academic clinic in South Africa”,
- Anesthesia registries (who need to be/ become a Sasa trainee associate ),”
- Medical officer.
How to Apply for AbbVie and SASA Scholarship
Please include the following items in your application packet:
- Identity document (certified copy),
- Your complete Curriculum Vitae,
- Complete academic history (certified copies),
- Certificates / achievements,
- Motivational essay (explaining why you should receive the scholarship)
- Approval by the Head of Department.
Please incorporate the following things into your application package:
Please download and then browse the AbbVie Scholarships and SaSa Information (pdf).
- The scholarship will be used to pay costs related to the exam fee, training grants, attendance at conferences, or clinical research.
- All AbbVie Anesthesia Scholarship recipients submit a letter of acceptance, acknowledging receipt of funds, and informing the National Secretary of how the funds were used.
- An annual report must be presented, in case of repetition of awards.
- SASA reserves the right to make independent inquiries about a student’s needs, academic progress, or conduct.
- Awards may be reduced or withdrawn if the fellow’s work or conduct is deemed unsatisfactory.
- Awards are fully refundable if fellows change, fail, suspend or terminate the program of study at any stage during the year in
which the award has been made.
- In order to promote education, grantees may be required to share
their experiences, new knowledge, or research activities with their colleagues in an appropriate forum or in a SASA publication.
- The recipient of a 4-year award must commit to spending at least 2 years
following graduation, practicing anesthesia in Southern Africa.
AbbVie and SASA Scholarship Application Deadline
The AbbVie and SASA Scholarships Application closes on October 31 of each year.
For almost any scholarship question, please contact:
Tel: 031 368 2530