About the Country
Pakistan, or in official circles the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, is a large sovereign country located in South Asia, with a total geographic area of just over 307,300 square miles. Strategically located where at the crossroads of Central and South Asia and the Middle East, the country shares land borders with India to the east, Afghanistan to the west and north, Iran to the southeast, and China to the extreme northwest.
To the south of Pakistan there are approximately 650 miles of coastline, formed by the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman, the country is separated from Tajikistan by the Wakhan corridor in northern Afghanistan, where it also shares a maritime border with Oman.
Pakistan is a federal parliamentary republic that is made up of four provinces and four federal territories, each made up of urban and rural areas. The seat of government and capital of Pakistan is Islamabad, while its main city is Karachi.
Applicants are invited to apply for the HEC Science Scholarship Program for Undergraduate Program in Pakistan, 2023. This scholarship program is sponsored by the Pakistan Higher Education Commission.
Nationals of Pakistan/AJK are eligible to apply for this scholarship program. The goal of this scholarship program is to ensure that scholars who have an aptitude for science and are outstanding in their studies can be productive scientists for the future by developing their critical thinking skills.
The Pakistan Higher Education Commission is an independent, autonomous and constitutionally constituted institution of primary funds, which oversees, regulates and accredits higher education efforts in Pakistan.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue undergraduate study.
Subject of study: The scholarships are offered in the discipline of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and its sub-disciplines. Full information on Sub-disciplines and universities is available on the HEC website.
Scholarship Award: Specialized Interventions
- Academics will receive a laptop once during their studies to access the latest research in their respective fields online.
- A three- to four-month/semester non-credit language course will be arranged at selected universities during the first year of study for scholars under the scheme to improve their English language expression and expression skills.
- Each scholar will appear in the IELTS/TOEFL exam conducted by the relevant organizations periodically within a period of six months after the completion of the English course to measure their language proficiency.
- A special summer semester will be organized for academics from participating universities to attend lectures and conduct research activities during the second year of study. Students will be encouraged to design the proposal for the final year project.
- One hundred outstanding students will be sent abroad each year in the third year of their study to attend a semester at a foreign university ranked high in the technologically advanced country in their respective fields of study.
- The research project will be mandatory for all scholarship holders in their last year of undergraduate studies under the plan for fostering scientific talent. Academics are expected to start designing the research project in the second year of studies. Universities will be required to provide laboratory facilities and supervision during the summer break.
Number of scholarships: Not known
The scholarship can be taken in Pakistan
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applicant must be Pakistani/AJK National.
- Applicants who have achieved a minimum of 60 marks on the SSC with science and a minimum of 70 marks on the HSSC (Part I) exam with science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics and are appearing in 2nd HSSC exam year of Pakistan Education System are eligible to apply. Scholars must obtain a minimum of 70% grades in HSSC (Part II).
- Candidates who have passed their HSSC in the 2016 annual exam can also apply if they have achieved at least 70% marks in the HSSC (Part 1) exam and have also achieved the aggregate 70% marks in HSSC. They must gain new enrollments in the identified disciplines at the selected universities in the Fall 2023 semester.
- Candidates must obtain a minimum of 50 marks on the HEC Scholarship Test.
- Candidates who are already using another scholarship are NOT eligible to apply.
- Candidate who has dual nationality is not eligible to apply.
Nationality: Pakistani/AJK nationals are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
University Admission Requirement
Entry Requirements: Applicants who have achieved a minimum of 60 marks in SSC with science and a minimum of 70 in HSSC (Part I) exams with science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics, and appearing in 2 nd year of HSSC exam of Pakistani education system are eligible to apply.
English Language Requirements: Each scholar must appear in the IELTS/TOEFL exam conducted by the relevant organizations periodically within a period of six months after the completion of the English language course to measure their language proficiency.
How to apply: Applicants should only submit the online applications available on the HEC website. They are advised to keep a hard copy of the application with them, which will be requested from shortlisted candidates only along with other documents at later stages.
Application Deadline: The deadline to apply for the scholarship is July 16, 2023.