The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) in partnership with KDU Kyungdung University announces the scholarship intended for the citizen of East Africa to further their higher education in an undergraduate degree in South Korea for the academic year of 2022-2023.
The application period is now open for the interested East African students who wish to pursue their undergraduate degree and study eligible courses intended for the scholarship program.
KDU-IUCEA Scholarship is for the undergraduate students who will be commencing their studies for the September 2022 semester. The scholarship is open for the IUCEA member countries such as South Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania to commence their studies in an eligible undergraduate degree offered by the Kyungdong University in South Korea.
To help the East African students achieve their ambition and career goals, the scholarship was created to provide fully-funded awards to help them focus on their studies and not to worry about finances to continue their education and be one of the leaders to help their community at their home country.
One of the prestigious scholarships and great opportunities for East African students who can demonstrate their academic skills and willingness to pursue their higher education in one of the leading universities in South Korea.
Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA)
The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) an institution for the East African Community which is responsible in terms of the coordination of higher education research and developments. One of IUCEA’s tasks is to advise EAC and partner countries on all higher education questions, including the operation of the EAC General Higher Education Area. IUCEA’s mission is to encourage and develop mutually beneficial cooperation between member universities, governments, and other public and private organizations.
KDU Global – IUCEA Scholarships Main Purpose
The scholarship’s main purpose is to promote inclusive and sustainable development in EAC member countries by promoting and providing high-demand professionals in the fields of business administration, hotel and tourism management, and computer technology. Currently, there are more than 50 students from EAC countries studying at Kyungdong University Global. KDU Global and IUCEA are working together to expand the GACC network across East Africa and bring global opportunities to talented young people from the community.
The Kyungdong University is one of the private universities in South Korea and fully accredited by the Korean Ministry of Education, was certified by the International Quality Assurance System for Education. The university is located in Goseong, Gangwondo Province, and is one of the most beautiful tourist destinations in South Korea with an outstanding natural environment.
KDU Global has created and supported a worldwide network of Global Academic Collaborating Centers (GACCs) that provide thousands of students with countless global opportunities and international education based on the same academic platform.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicants Nationality: South Sudan, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, and Burundi
- Degree Level: Undergraduate
- Field: Hotel Management, Business Administration and Smart Computing
- Scholarship Duration: 4 years or equivalent to 8 semesters of academic excellence in each semester of study and compliance with KDU Global internal rules and regulations. More than 95% of previous IUCEA grantees maintain an average grade of above 80% (100% scale) in each semester).
- Number of Scholarships: 30
- Scholarship Award: Fully funded
- Scholarship Country: South Korea
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Commencement Date: September 2022
Interested applicants must meet the following entry requirements of the scholarship program.
- Must be a resident and citizen of the East Africa Members such as South Sudan, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, and Burundi.
- Must have completed their pre-university level at their home country in 2020-2021.
- Students must have a good academic merits minimum of B in the English and Mathematics subjects or equivalent to South Korea grading system.
- Age must be no older than 22 upon the application date.
Applicants must have good communication skills in oral and written English. They are required to submit a test score of the IELTS minimum of 5.5 or iBT 71 prior to admission at the university.
Applicants must follow the procedure of the application below:
- Must be able to complete the application form on an online portal provided by the university.
- Must be able to submit a hardcopy of the application form.
- Statement of Interest of the Executive Secretary of the Inter-University Council for East Africa.
- Must be able to upload the required documents to support your scholarship application.
Required Documents for the Scholarship Application
The required documents must be uploaded and converted in a PDF file and must be able to submit at the Inter-University Council for East Africa IUCEA.
- A recent passport size color photograph clearly frames the face and upper shoulders
- Complete curriculum vitae (CV), including names and contacts of two references.
- Two Reference letters, the CV referees, and one of the referees must be the head of the institution where the student graduated from high school.
- Certified copies of national pre-university transcripts and certificates
- Proof of citizenship and residency of a partner country in East African Community: passport/identity card and certificate of residence required.
The Kyungdong University will be the one to conduct an assessment and confirmation of the final selected candidates. The selected candidates will be required additional documents and other forms designated if necessary.
The scholarship will be covering the following:
- Full tuition fee amounting to a total value of $10,000 annually for up to 4 years.
- Accommodation fee(on-campus) with a total value of $1,600 annually for up to 4 years.
- Air ticket at the beginning and every 2 years
- Health Insurance that can support the students every month.
- Handling fee and application process of $200.
The students and their guardians/sponsors are responsible for living expenses, which are estimated to be around $250 per month based on the average cost of living for students in South Korea.
Scholarship Important Date
- April 15, 2022- the deadline for submission of applications and supporting documents.
- May 13, 2022- Evaluation and selection
- May 23, 2022- Final selection of the awardees
- May 30, 2022- Submission for the scholarship agreements forms
- June 10, 2022- Submission of the university admission
- June 17, 2022- Visa and admission issuance of documents
- June 20- July 1, 2022- Visa application/processing
- June 27, 2022- Air ticket issuance
- August 8, 2022- the awardee’s arrival and orientation in South Korea at the Kyungdong University.
- August 29, 2022- Commencement period
The scholarship will be offered annually.